Chef Matt recently went on a little cooking adventure with Allison DeMarcus and CMT, preparing The Southern’s famous Royal Red Risotto for Reel Eats. Want to make your very own Royal Red Risotto? Chef Matt’s secret recipe is below!
Royal Red Shrimp Risotto with Oyster Mushrooms and Lemon Confit
4 c. arborio rice
1 medium onion, diced
8 c. shrimp stock (or chicken stock)
1/2 c. white wine
4 T. clarified butter
TO PREPARE RICE:
1) Saute onions in clarified butter until translucent.
2) Add arborio and toast over medium/high heat until edges of rice are translucent. (5-6 minutes)
While rice is toasting, heat stock to a simmer.
3) De-glaze pan with wine.
4) When wine is completely absorbed by the rice,
add enough hot stock to cover the rice by approximately two inches.
5) Bring to a simmer and stir for 30 seconds, then cover and cook for six
6) Strain, cool and reserve liquid.
3 lemons sliced very thin and laid out in a single layer on a sheet tray
3 T. sugar
3 T. kosher salt
1 small shallot (thinly sliced)
1 clove of garlic (thinly sliced)
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
2 oz. extra virgin olive oil
TO PREPARE CONFIT:
1) Sprinkle lemons with salt, sugar, pepper, garlic and shallot.
2) Evenly pour olive oil over lemons.
3) Let lemons marinate for at least 3 hours.
2 T. clarified butter
5 oz. royal red shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
1 c. prepared rice
4-5 oz. reserved liquid from cooking the rice
4 oz. oyster mushrooms
3 T. sliced scallions
2 T. mascarpone cheese
3 T. parmesan cheese
2 T. whole unsalted butter
TO PREPARE FINAL DISH:
1) Saute the oyster mushrooms in clarified butter for 2 minutes or until soft
2) Add shrimp and 2 T. sliced scallions;
saute for 1 minute and season lightly with salt and white pepper.
3) Add rice and reserved stock.
4) Simmer, stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes or until rice absorbs most of the liquid.
(Add more liquid for a softer consistency)
5) Add cheeses and butter and stir until all is melted and well incorporated.
6) Place risotto in a bowl and garnish with 1 T. sliced scallions and 1T. chopped lemon confit.